About the Grotto & Shrines...
The Dickeyville Grotto & Shrines are located on the grounds of the
Holy Ghost Parish in Dickeyville, WI. They are the works of Father Matthias Wernerus, a German-American priest who served the parish from 1918 until his death in 1931.
The main Grotto is an artificial cave created out of stone, mortar, and brightly colored materials and found objects collected from all over the world. It was built without the use of blueprints, and is supported underground with almost as much material as is visible above ground. It was dedicated on September 14, 1930.
In addition to the main Grotto, Father Wernerus constructed several other religious and patriotic shrines throughout the garden area surrounding the Holy Ghost Church. Click our Site Map for a full list of shrines. Later additions to the site include the Stations of the Cross (1964) and Our Lady of Fatima Shrine (1998).
During the Summer of 2023, the Dickeyville Grotto site underwent an extensive site restoration through the generosity of the Kohler Foundation and the hardwork of the Heritage Restoration & Design team. Learn about the project here.
Generous donations support the ongoing maintenance of these works. Please consider making a donation today!